Recipe Books are lootable items found inside bookcases as well as many containers at random locations throughout the map. Using a recipe book will teach the player ("unlock") new recipes used to craft various weapons and tools. The new recipe or recipes the player learns will be added to the recipe list found to the left of the crafting grid.
- A recipe is displayed in grey if the player has not crafted the item previously and does not have the correct materials.
- A recipe is displayed in white if the player has the correct materials but has not crafted the item previously.
- A recipe is displayed in green if the player has the correct materials in their inventory and they have crafted the item previously.
- The positions of the items used for a recipe are shown in the crafting grid as shadow icons.
To read a book, it has to be in a tool belt slot and needs to be activated by mouse clicking.
Unlocking recipes is extremely useful for improving your defenses against zombies, not to mention your chances of survival and your post-apocalyptic quality of life. Recipes are permanently unlocked, whereas recipe books can be lost or destroyed. So it is advised to read them as soon as possible.
Recipe books disappear when read. You cannot read more than one copy of the same recipe book; a small yellow book icon will appear in the top left corner of the book icon indicating that it has already been read. If you try, the message "All recipes already known" will appear at the bottom of the screen. Additional copies of recipe books can be given or traded to other survivors, burned for fuel in a Camp Fire or Forge or crafted to paper.
Each Recipe Book has a unique title and a description which has a reference to the weapon or tool recipes it contains. The list below shows the titles currently available and which recipes they contain. To view more information for any given title click on it to access its specific article.
There are three different types of Recipe Book. They all work the same way, and differ only by appearance:
- Ammunition Nation Book (Bullet Casing Mold, Bullet Tip Mold)
- Enforcer Magazine (44 Magnum, 44 Magnum Bullet)
- Hunting Knife Book
- Leather Tanning (Leather)
- MacDyvers Book (Scrap Boots, Scrap Chest Armor, Scrap Gloves, Scrap Helmet, Scrap Leg Armor)
- Minibikes For Dumbs**ts (Minibike Chassis, Minibike Handlebars, Minibike Seat)
- Pistol Book
- Set In Concrete (Concrete Mix, Cement Mold, Rebar Frame, Rebar Ramp Frame)
- The Riddle of Steel (Steel Ingot Mold, Steel Pickaxe, Steel Arrowhead Mold, Steel Arrow)
- Iron Boots Schematic
- Iron Chest Armor Schematic
- Iron Gloves Schematic
- Iron Helmet Schematic
- Iron Leg Armor Schematic
- Leather Boots Schematic
- Leather Gloves Schematic
- Leather Hat Schematic
- Leather Jacket Schematic
- Leather Pants Schematic
- Claw Hammer Schematic
- Crossbow Schematic
- Hunting Rifle Schematic
- Pump Shotgun Schematic
- Sawed off Pump Shotgun Schematic
- Sledgehammer Schematic
- SMG Schematic
- Sniper Rifle Schematic
- Spiked Club Schematic
- Wrench Schematic
- 10mm Bullet Schematic
- 762mm Bullet Schematic
- 9mm Bullet Schematic
- Exploding Crossbow Bolt Schematic
- Flaming Arrow Schematic
- Shotgun Shell Schematic
- Shotgun Slug Schematic